If your toenails are cracked, bristle and the nail lifts itself from the nail bed, you are probably facing with a toenail fungal infection. Well, we all know that a fungal infection is hard to eradicate, but at the same time you can stop it from spreading and change the aspect of your toenails.
Even if it’s not a serious disease, toenail fungus is contagious and may spread to the other toenails; that is why you have to treat it from its first signs.
My mother struggled with a nasty toenail fungus for years and shed tried all sort of remedies and over-the-counter treatments, but the fungus was reappearing, even if the infection was treated. She had to strike directly at fungus heart, and the best arrow to stop this infection is Vicks VapoRub.
But, does Vicks VapoRub kill toenail fungus?
Tested on my mother toenails, I can say yes! Of course, you won’t find any instructions on Vicks VapoRub label for toenail fungus, because this product is designed to treat cough and congestion, but I’ve seen many people using this tropical product in treating various affections, and toenail fungus is one of them.
Due to its ingredients – camphor, eucalyptus oil and menthol – Vicks VapoRub has the power to control and treat toenail fungus, but it may take several months before it eradicates completely the fungus.
So, below I will explain the exact steps in treating toenail fungus with Vicks VapoRub:
- Cut the affected toenail using a nail clippers.
- Immediately after cutting the nail, cleanse the nail clippers with hot soapy water, and leave it for 15 minutes in rubbing alcohol.
- Wash your foot by paying special attention to the affected nail.
- Dry it by dabbing slowly with a towel.
- Take a teaspoon of Vicks VapoRub out of the container (use a teaspoon and not your finger to avoid sticking your finger back into the container).
- Use the Vicks VapoRub from the teaspoon.
- Use a cotton swab and apply the Vicks on your toenail.
- Be sure to cover the toenail completely by getting Vicks VapoRub under the nail and down into the cuticle.
- Rub Vicks VapoRub thoroughly and cover the toe with a bandage.
- This way, Vicks will be absorbed rather than rubbing it from your sheets.
- Repeat this process twice a day – in the morning and evening.
- Patience is the key in this process: daily applications for four months seemed to be effective for my mother’s toenail fungus.
Important! Cut your toenails and maintain the hygiene of your foot while applying this treatment.