Hi there! As a dental nurse, I’ve seen a lot of patients with a toothache, and I can honestly tell you, that is one of the strongest pain a person can experience. The most-known toothache is when the wisdom teeth appear, and this happens between the ages of 17 and 25, but sometimes even later in life.
As the wisdom teeth, also called the third molar, are the last one to grow, there is not enough room in the mouth for them to develop properly. Hence, they may push the other teeth or grow at an angle under the gum, causing pain, swelling of the gums and irritation.
Wisdom tooth pain can appear suddenly, without warning or growing gradually in intensity. The pain can be unbearable and may interfere with you daily activities. However, you can alleviate pain without painkillers, but just by using natural remedies.
Important: if the pain persists or keeps coming back you may visit a dentist, because the molar must be pulled out.
- Use a cotton ball to apply some clove oil on the painful wisdom tooth and surrounding gum area.
- Reapply 2 or 3 times a day.
- If you find clove oil too strong, dilute it with a little olive oil.
- You can also place 2 or 3 whole cloves in your mouth close to the aching wisdom tooth.
- As the cloves start releasing their essential oil, you will get relief from the pain.
- Follow this remedy as needed.
- Another option is to mix 1 crushed garlic clove, a little rock salt and a few drops of clove oil to make a paste.
- Apply a thick coat of it on the swollen gums and leave it on for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Then rinse it off with warm water.
- Do this once or twice daily.
2. Salt Water
- Dissolve a teaspoon or two of table salt in a glass of warm water.
- Rinse your mouth with the saline solution for a few minutes.
3. Tea Tree Essential Oil
- Take a drop or two of tea tree oil and apply it directly to the wisdom tooth.
- Massage the tooth and gums gently for 2 to 3 minutes and then rinse your mouth with lukewarm water.
- Mince the garlic cloves.
- Apply the paste to the aching wisdom tooth.
- You can also place a garlic clove directly on the affected tooth and bite on it.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
- Add a tablespoon or two of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water and mix well.
- Use this solution to rinse your mouth.
- You can do this 1 to 2 times a day.
6. Hot Or Cold Compress
- Take a hot water bottle or ice pack and place it on the side of the cheek where the wisdom tooth is coming in.
- Hold the compress for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Repeat this 3 to 4 times daily.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of dried, crushed sage and 1 teaspoon of salt in a small glass.
- Pour whisky or vodka in the glass.
- Allow it to sit for 5 minutes.
- Swish the mixture around your mouth for a few minutes, then spit it out.
- Repeat with the remaining solution.
- Follow this remedy 2 or 3 times a day until the pain subsides.
- Simply chew a few slices of raw onion for a few minutes.
- If you cannot chew due to swelling and pain, place a small piece of raw onion directly on the affected tooth.