I’m no hippie, but when it comes to my kid I avoid medicines as much as I can. Doping him with antibiotics every time he catches a cold is not a solution. As a matter of fact I also avoid over-the-counter medicines and ointments, because most of the time they are not effective and cost a fortune.
In return, I prepare my own ointments to cure different types of affections, such as eczema. My daughter struggles with eczema. It first appeared in the first grade on the wrists and hands, then on the face (cheekbones). I took her to the doctor’s office and he said is stress. It seems that 7 years old are full of stress, too!
Hence, in order to cure her itchy, scaly and reddish eczema I tried to prepare a salve made only with natural ingredients to stop this eczematic flare ups. Alongside with this salve I balanced her diet by introducing whole-food in it.
How to prepare eczema salve at home
- ½ cup of shea butter
- ½ cup of coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon of raw honey
- 40 drops of lavender essential oil
- 5-10 drops of tea tree essential oil
1. Use a double boiler to melt the shea butter and coconut oil until they are well combined.
2. Right after, add the honey and let it melt a bit.
3. When all the ingredients are in liquid form, add the essential oils. Mix well to combine them.
4. Pour the salve in small containers and let it solidify.
How to use:
Apply it over the eczema flare ups, but it’s advisable to try it on a small area of your skin to avoid complications.
Keep Eczema Under Control
- Cutting down on bath frequency
- Putting her on a dairy-free diet
- Foregoing harsh soaps
- Making our own mild laundry detergent
- Having her sleep in long pants to minimize nighttime scratching
- Keeping her skin moisturized