Most common cold and flu symptoms are ending with a bad cough. Even if coughing is the body’s way of expelling an irritant in the throat and airways which is an absolutely normal occurrence, if it lasts longer than a week you should see a doctor in order to eliminate factors as pneumonia and bronchitis.
However, you can keep cough under control with natural remedies, and onions are used by many as a natural alternative for over-the-counter cough syrups. Moreover, onions in a syrup form can be extremely effective for sore throat and cough, especially for your toddler.
Administrate the following onion cough syrup from the first common cold symptoms and your child will feel much better.
Onion Cough Syrup
- Dice one large onion into very small pieces and place into a metal sieve over a large bowl.
- Use a wooden spoon to macerate the diced onion, allowing the juices to seep into the bowl below. If using a food mill, run the diced onion through the mill. You will end up with more onion pulp in the finished result this way, which is acceptable.
- Mix equal parts onion juice and honey in a sealable container such as a glass jar with lid. Allow to sit for at least four hours for the honey and onion to fully combine.
- Swallow 1 tsp. of the honey and onion mixture twice daily to alleviate coughing.
Alongside with this onion cough syrup, just apply on the soles of your kid some onion slices as it follows:
- take a red or white onion and slice it
- place the onion slice on the soles of your child
- put a pair of cotton socks on the feet
- let the onion slices act overnight
- remove them in the morning and wash the feet with lukewarm water
Important! If cough is not improving after the first days of using this syrup, you should see a doctor.