Back pain can be debilitating and leave you feeling limited and trapped. It can make tying your shoe, picking up objects, or even sitting in a chair uncomfortable. There are many types of back pain, but there is one in particular that can be especially excruciating—sciatic nerve pain. The sciatic nerve is the largest nerve in the body, and when it’s compressed or impacted, then sciatic nerve pain can be the result. Sciatic pain can make everyday things painful… even coughing. I can say that is one of the most painful conditions to live with. This pain usually occurs in the lower back and can extend to one of your legs.
Even if most people know what sciatica is, only those experiencing the pain know that in some cases, the pain can be excruciating, and while it may be hard to believe, sciatica often goes away within 3 months with conservative treatment. That “conservative treatment” relies on some non-invasive therapies that can be done in the comfort of your own home.
The best way to relieve sciatic nerve pain is to exercise…
It may feel unnatural to exercise when you’re in pain, but physical therapists suggests that resting too much can aggravate your back and leg symptoms. Instead, incorporate gentle exercise into your day to ease your sciatica.
…and to apply the cold/heat therapy…
Alternating heat and ice therapy can provide immediate relief of sciatic nerve pain. Ice can help reduce inflammation, while heat encourages blood flow to the painful area. Apply an ice pack to the painful area for 15 minutes once every hour, and then apply heat for 15 minutes every 2 or 3 hours. Remember to always use a barrier (like a towel).
…alongside with local Capsaicin Cream massage.
What You’ll Need:
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of cayenne powder
- 1/2 ounce of beeswax
- Begin by combining the cayenne and olive oil in a double boiler or a pan on very low heat. Heat the oil and cayenne until it is warm, turn off the heat, and let it sit (warmly) for about 20 minutes, then turn the heat on again. I repeat this process for at least one hour to a couple of hours. You could do it for 24 hours if desired.
- Once the cayenne and olive oil have been infused, strain off the powder through a cheesecloth. Reserve the infused oil.
- Heat the beeswax until it is melted. Stir in the infused oil until the beeswax and oil have been thoroughly melted together and combined.
- Immediately pour this mixture into jars or tins. Let it cool and then label it.