Dealing with a toenail infection can be extremely embarrassing due to the stink it releases every time you take your shoes off. But, don’t let a toenail infection get the best of you and try some exclusive and effective natural ways in getting rid of it. I would like to say quickly, but toenail fungus is quite stubborn and it takes around 2-3 months until its completely cured.
Some words about toenail fungus…
Toenail fungus can be caused by leaving your feet in warm, moist environments for too long, or by tiny cuts under the nail that breed dermatophytes and yeast called Candida. Once the gunk begins to grow, it can cause your nails to discolor or disfigure, and eventually become inflamed. Seeing your doctor about treatments is recommended, but there are also plenty of home remedies that you can use to diminish the fungus and prevent it from coming back.
The link between Vicks Vaporub and toenail fungus
Lately, there are a lot of rumors all over the social media about the unconventional uses of this old decongestant. It seems that Vicks Vaporub is great in treating other conditions than common cold or flu symptoms. Besides it’s a great household helper.
So, the link between Vicks and toenail fungus has a lot of pros and cons. It seems that this natural decongestant is great in treating this nasty and hard-to-kill fungus. Even if there is not much evidence of the effectiveness of this decongestant, it seems that the New York Times put it to test. The results: incredible – the thyme in Vaporub can do the job. Hence, if the thymol found in Vicks Vaporub is great in killing this smelly fungus, we can also use thyme oil. It’s strange that what may have started as an accidental home remedy now has a medical study to back it up.
How to use Vicks Vaporub or Thyme oil for toenail fungus
1. To treat toenail fungus with Vicks VapoRub, clean and trim your toenails.
2. Wash them well and make sure they are completely dry.
3. Coat the toenail with the Vicks, and be sure to get the gel deep into the sides of the nail and as far underneath as possible.
4. If you have any cracks in your nail, rub deeply into them.
5. Once the nail is covered, then wrap a light gauze bandage or adhesive bandage around the nail to protect the Vicks from rubbing off on to socks or something else. Leave it on and let the gel absorb into the nail.
5. Repeat daily. The time it takes to notice results can be anywhere from 10 days to six weeks, depending upon how deep your fungus is.
6. The same procedure is available for thyme oil: apply over the infected toenail using a Q-Tip two times a day – in the morning and evening.