Stuffy nose occurs when your sinuses overproduce mucus which causes them to clog. This means tons of tissues, irritated nose, and sleepless nights. As a matter of fact, one of the best ways to dodge a cold is to sleep. It is said that those who sleep between 6-8 hours per night aren’t so exposed to germs and their immune system is stronger than to those who sleep 6 hours per night.
Not getting enough sleep it will affect your body and your mood, as well as your emotional mind. So, not sleeping well during the night due to a stuffy nose may affect your overall health.
However, a stuffy nose doesn’t have to keep you up at night, because there are a lot of solutions to unclog your sinuses and catch a good night sleep. Besides over-the-counter nasal sprays, you can try some natural remedies to blast off mucus and get rid of a stuffy nose.
First of all, you should get a nice steamy shower with Sinus Shower Bombs…
- 1 cup of baking soda
- 1/2 cup of sea salt or Epsom salt
- up to 2 tsp of water
- 20 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
- 20 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 20 drops of lavender essential oil
- 20 drops of rosemary essential oil
- 20 drops of lemon essential oil
- 1 tsp powdered menthol crystals (optional)
1. Combine baking soda, salt/Epsom salt, and mix well until combined.
2. Spray or drop small amounts of water into the mix and stir until you get the consistency of slightly wet sand.
3. Mixture should hold together when squeezed without crumbling but should not appear wet at all. You may need to add slightly more water if it hasn’t achieved this consistency yet.
4. Once you get this texture, add the menthol crystals and the essential oils and stir to combine.
5. Quickly push mixture into silicon molds, greased muffin tins, or any other greased container. Press in firmly and leave at least 24 hours (48 is better) or until hardened.
6. When dry, remove and store in airtight container.
How to Use:
1. Place 1-2 melts just outside of the shower stream on the floor of the shower.
2. Let the hot water and steam do its work, and enjoy!
3. Store away from moisture and light. Use within 1 month for strongest scent and best results.
…then take the Aromatherapy Burner and use it as it follows:
1. Place a candle in the candle burner.
2. Add 1-2 tablespoons of water.
3. Then add 1 teaspoon of Vicks Vaporub in the water and stir slowly with a toothpick.
4. Let the candle burner release Vicks Vaporub vapors and enjoy its mentholated scent during the night.
Another useful tip is to place elevate your head while sleeping.
Congestion tends to be worse at night because it is harder for the nose and sinuses to drain. This means that mucus pools in the head, making it harder to breathe and potentially causing a sinus headache in the morning. Try elevating the head on a few pillows to help the sinuses drain more easily.
- Some people also find relief by sleeping on a recliner or couch.