Call it as you want: cold sore or fever blister, this common condition is really painful, embarrassing and pretty much unsightly.
Fever blisters are tiny and fluid-filled which usually occur in patches or around the lips. Once these fever blisters burst, a crust forms over them! Moreover, these painful lip wounds can last up to 10-14 days and can heal without a proper treatment, but during this time they are contagious. You can pass through saliva, so be careful.
However, there are several ways in speeding up the healing of fever blisters. Most known remedy is garlic, but you can apply garlic on your lips every time a cold sore appears. In order to protect your lips and speed up fever blister healing, you can prepare the following natural ointment.
- 1/2 cup Lemon Balm infused Olive Oil
- 1/2 tablespoon of beeswax pellets
- 1 tbsp of L-Lysine Powder
- 30 drops of Peppermint essential oil
- 20 drops of Tea Tree essential oil
- 20 drops of Wintergreen essential oil
- 10-15 drops of Clove essential oil
- Combine the Lemon Balm infused olive oil with the beeswax in a double boiler, or use a Mason jar set into a pan of water. Heat gently on low until the beeswax is melted completely.
- Remove the Mason jar/double boiler from heat and add the L-Lysine powder. Stir well.
- Add your essential oils, and once again stir really well.
- Carefully pour the liquid oil mixture into small tins or some other containers. You’ll have to stir immediately before pouring in each tin, or the Lysine powder will sink. Pour about halfway up in each tin, then come back around and fill to within a bit of the top. I’ve found it helps the powder stay suspended better if small amounts start solidifying first, then you can add more on top, stirring well once again.
- Allow to completely set up before using.
- You can use this salve on all skin areas, just do not use in open wounds if you have included the Wintergreen.